The course consists of:
• 2 Zoom guided discussions; 1:30 minutes each
• End-of-course exam
Students download the “Common Ground Alliance” from the link below. Be familiar with the Introduction, and Chapters 3, 4, and 5. These will be discussed in class.
Guided discussion learning objectives:
• Explain the hazards associated with excavations, and why identifying the correct location of subsurface installations is critical to safety
• Discuss excavation mishaps involving cave-ins and fire
• Explain the provisions of AB 1127; CA LC 6425; CA LC 6304.5
• Explain the term “Controlling Employer”
• Explain methods to hire contractors and monitor their safety performance
• Explain permit requirements
• Explain the term “Competent Person”
• Explain and discuss CA Government Code 4216-4216.9
• Explain the term “Qualified Person”
• Explain the excavator’s responsibility to know the location of subsurface installations prior to opening an excavation
• Explain Regional Notification Center requirements
• Explain the term “High Priority Subsurface Installations”
• Explain the procedures for locating and excavating around High Priority Subsurface Installation.
And Much More!
End-of-Course Exam: (optional)
• The end-of-course exam measures the students’ knowledge of the course learning objectives.
• The exam consists of 20 true/false questions.
Students who pass the exam with a score of 80% or higher will receive a certificate of completion.