This workshop will highlight Federal government initiatives, research and successful affordable housing projects across the country, and would be of interest to municipalities and both non-profit and private sector entities who work with communities in the development of affordable housing and housing plans.
1. Overview of National Housing Strategy (NHS)
• Information regarding programs available to non-profit housing providers, municipalities, First Nations and the private sector, including NHS goals for partnerships, social inclusion and sustainability.
• The presentation will also highlight projects that have benefitted from the NHS from municipalities of various sizes.
2. Municipal Tools for Affordable Housing
• Examples from across the country will demonstrate various tools municipalities have used to encourage the development of affordable housing in their communities and how these tools can compliment NHS programs including:
o Policy Tools: beginning with statutory community plans and the development of housing strategies integrated with municipal policies for effective results;
o Financial Tools: looking at a range of examples where municipalities are directly involved in the financial support of affordable housing to where municipalities offer other incentives that encourage supply in the sector;
o Regulatory Tools: including examples of the removal of barriers to housing supply, regulatory incentives, as well as by-laws and actions that protect existing affordable housing.
3. Housing Supply Challenge
• Getting Started Round:
o We are challenging people in Canada to create implementable, local solutions that improve the development of housing that is affordable.
o Many barriers stand in the way of developing housing that is affordable. These challenges are diverse and span the development process from idea to shovel.
o This round invites participants from across Canada to submit locally relevant solutions that improve development of