Parks Online Resources for Teachers and Students (PORTS) has reached more than 1,000,000 students with online tours of California’s state parks- and it’s time to celebrate this milestone! Parks California is hosting a virtual event (how else, right?) to say congratulations and thank you!
Please join us as we hear from some of the PORTS pioneers, current interpreters, and educators using PORTS to enhance their teaching.
Before virtual was widely used, these visionaries dreamed up an idea to bring parks to students, when students couldn’t get to parks. Despite barriers, PORTS enabled students and teachers to Zoom right into parks from their classrooms and homes – more than a million times! It became even more important as a global pandemic created many hurdles for educators. The whole PORTS team stepped up during this crisis, knowing how important it is for young people to get -- and stay -- connected with nature.
During our celebration, we will highlight:
• How PORTS interpreters, administrators, and educators make parks come to life online.
• The ways PORTS has inspired a whole generation of students to respect the environment, dive deep into history, and embrace the joys of nature.
• Creating a new space for students to come alive to science, habitat, biology, culture, climate, and ecology.
• How important access is for kids, and the ways PORTS figured out how to marry technology and nature.
We can’t wait for you to join the celebration!
- The Parks California Team