All adults serving youth need to be mental health promoters. Learn how to implement the Calm Moments Cards program aimed at embedding evidence-based strategies (thinking, calming & focusing, & sensory) to reduce stress and enhance emotional well-being during 17 situational stressors (e.g. test taking, transitioning between classes). Feeling stressed and anxious can lead to restlessness, difficulty concentrating, and irritability and may negatively impact academic and social participation. Examples of how to use the strategies to promote successful participation throughout the school day will be provided (e.g. positive affirmations, coloring mandalas, movement poses, deep breathing). Outcomes of a mixed methods design studying the benefits of the Calm Moments Cards program will be shared. All of the Calm Moments Cards are free to download on the Every Moment Counts website.
TIME: 12 - 2 pm EST (Q&A from 2-2:30 pm) CONTACT HOURS: 2.5
• Purpose, development, and use of the Calm Moments Cards program
• Impact of school-based situational stressors on participation and emotional well-being
• Evidence-based strategies and activities for decreasing stress and enhancing emotional wellbeing provided on the Calm Moments Cards: Thinking Strategies (cognitive behavioral); Focusing & Calming (mindfulness, yoga); and Sensory (use of sensory strategies for self-regulation)
• Review of how to access the Calm Moment Cards downloadable materials on the Every Moment Counts website
• Brief summary of a mixed methods outcome study on the use of the Calm Moments Cards