This class starts with an overview for a 4-stage model for competence and learning (Unconscious Incompetence toward Unconscious Competence). Then we will describe two additional levels that add to the utility of the model. We will describe the ecosystem the “Enhanced 6-Stage Levels of Competence Model” lives in along with the Dunning-Kreuger Effect and the Behavioral Change Stairway.
The goal is for instructors and students to have increased understanding for the system of coinciding parts in a classroom environment. Then, how to recognize what techniques will aid in the communicating of information and the gaining of skill and expertise.
1. Describe the current 4-level model for competence and learning.
2. Describe the “classroom ecosystem” the Levels of Competence, Behavioral Change Stairway and Dunning-Kreuger Effect are a part of.
3. Define the additive level of – Conscious Competence of Unconscious Competence.
4. Define the additive level of – Misconception Incompetence.
5. Be able to utilize the “enhanced 6-level model” for competence and learning to target specific strategies to enhance student learning and performance.